Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, whether or not you have pets, and how often your air filter has been replaced, to name a handful—you may adjust your air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are certainly some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers blowing out dust?
- When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see an accumulation of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents found shelter in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Honke Heating & AC in Gresham about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a couple things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between expert cleanings.
Above all, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Honke Heating & AC. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and possible replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning well, and should help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Honke Heating & AC about installing an air purification system. We provide the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other measures you can take include:
- Regularly dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Inspecting your air filters regularly and changing them when the manufacturer recommends changing them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not need exchanging.
- Sealing seepages in air ducts that allow dust to enter from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or broken air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Gresham home clean and healthy. Give the experts at Honke Heating & AC a call at 503-663-8033.